White, Trumpet Shaped, Fragrant Flower, Opens At Night? - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Valerie Erskine
Indianapolis, IN
Question by waldoann
This spring I planted a flower and tossed the seed packet! Now I don't have any idea what it is! The flowers on it are quite long, trumpet shaped that resemble a pinwheel or folded up umbrella when closed. They open to a white, fragrant flower with long yellow stamens. As the flower dies, a seed pod(?) appears that looks like a green tennis ball with horns! The plant itself is multi-branching, green with large flat leave. Can you help me by identifying this plant?

0

Your mystery plant is Brugmansia, sometimes called Datura, and commonly known as Angel's Trumpet. The seed pods are often called thorn apples. Your description was perfect and made the plant easy to identify!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"