Picking Okra - Knowledgebase Question

St. Louis, MO
Question by lanap67
I have two varieties of okra in my garden and they are growing and producing great. However, I am a novice gardener and I am not sure I am picking it right. I have been cutting the pods off with scissors in the middle of their little stalk. Is this ok? I wondered because I now have all of these funny little brown "stumps" going up my okra plant and one of them is six feet tall! How tall will it get? I planted clemson spineless and another called Louisiana... (something I can't remember) One has octagonal pods and one has round ones.

0

That's fine. Scissors or small hand pruners are perfect. It could reach eight feet, maybe taller in a long growing season. It will grow until frost, especially if you keep on picking.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"