Planting A Dogwood - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, NY
Question by RNTIP
I HAVE A SMALL WHITE DOGWOOD TREE(ABOUT 12INCHES HIGH). HOW DO I PREPARE THE SOIL,WHAT TYPE OF SOIL,CAN I PLANT IT NOW AND SHOULD I WRAP SOME BURLAP AROUND IT THIS WINTER. THANKS

0

Our native dogwood trees are winter hardy and should not need extra protection in your area. They are understory trees in the wild, and so do best in a sheltered location with dappled shade or morning sun. They need an acid soil that is high in humus. The trees also need a soil that is evenly moist and yet well drained, meaning not soggy. Compost, old rotted leaves or a similar material would be possible amendments. Your county extension should be able to help you run some basic soil tests and help interpret the results with a dogwood tree in mind. This would be a good time to plant it so it has some time to root and become established before the winter sets in.