Morning Glory In Compost Pile - Knowledgebase Question

West Linn, OR
Question by haholland
I have inherited a compost bin with a morning glory growing out of it. I've tried pulling it out, but it always comes back the next season. Any ideas on how to safely (organically) get it out, without contaminating my whole compost pile?

0

Morning glory is one of those pesky weeds that are hard to eradicate. They spread by seeds and roots and even a small piece of stem can somehow develop a root system and begin a new plant. There are few herbicides affective against morning glory and although glyphosate kills the tops, it doesn't usually kill the roots of the plant. Rather than trying to eradicate it with chemicals, why not manage your compost pile so it really heats up? Add both green and brown plant materials to the pile, then turn it regularly, moving the hot center toward the outside and the cooler outside parts to the inside of the pile. The heat an active compost pile generates will kill morning glory plant parts.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"