Halogen Lighting For Greenhouse - Knowledgebase Question

Fort Atkinson, WI
Question by ranschuetz
September 22, 2000
Can I use a shop-type halogen light (600)watt bulbs for grow lights instead of flourescent lights & bulbs for starting my seeds? If so are the distances from the plants the same as flourescent because I imagine they give off more heat.

Answer from NGA
September 22, 2000


You can use halogen in place of fluorescent lamps for growing seedlings. They do give off more heat and should be placed from 1'-4' away from the plants. You may have to experiment a bit with your lamp to find the correct distance. Start a 4' above the plants. If the seedlings begin to get leggy it means they're reaching for the light. Lower the lamp and note the differences in growth. Here's a website with additional information on halogen bulbs and plants:

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "A Trellis Divider"