Non-flowering Houseplants - Knowledgebase Question

New York, NY
Question by stw14
I've been having problems getting my houseplants to flower. It seems that no matter what type of plant I buy, as soon as I bring it home it stops flowering. This has happened with my cyclamen, African violet and several other flowering plants. The buds form but then quickly shrivel away. The problem started a little over a year ago -- before that it was fine and I can't think of anything different that I'm doing.
My apartment windows face west and I use Miracle Gro.

0

When plants refuse to flower, it's generally due to low light or low humidity. Most houseplants are tropical in nature, thriving in bright light, high humidity and warmth. Try misting your plants daily to increase humidity, or placing the pots on a tray of pebbles to which you've added a half-inch of water. As the water evaporates it will increase humidity around the plants. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"