Ground Cover Under Pine Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Vista, CA
Question by kkalt
I have a large slope above a pool, half in full sun, and half in the shade of a large pine tree which drops needles all year. We also have a rat and bee problem, so can't have any high-growing or bee-attracting ground cover. I have planted several types of cover by plug, but can't find anything that will grow under the pine tree, in sun, and in shade. Also, if at all possible, I would love to plant from seed.

0

The situation you describe is difficult at best, but ground ivy will grow under the pine (and it rarely flowers). You might also consider Houttuynia, Oxalis oregana or Euonymus fortunei. I can't locate seeds for you, but flats of cuttings should be reasonably inexpensive if purchased early in the spring. Good luck with your planting area!