Can You Recommend A Groundcover? - Knowledgebase Question

Duvall, WA
Question by katesu
I just bought a house that has a large hill behind it. The hill is steep, so I wanted to plant a low maintenance ground cover on it (something to deter weeds as well). The hill is gets a lot of sun during the summer months and has little topsoil. I want an evergreen groundcover. I was thinking about putting periwinkle on it. Will this work or is there something better that you can recommend? Thanks!

0

Periwinkle (vinca minor) is a good choice for the site. Other considerations include the native kinnikinnick (arctostaphylos uva-ursi), carpet bugle (ajuga) or St. John's Wort (hypericum). All will do well in poor soils and full sunshine. After planting be sure to supply water on a regular basis until the plants become established. Once they're growing well they can get along with natural rainfall. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"