Zoysia Grass Seeds - Knowledgebase Question

St. Peters, MO
Question by Jojo2pa
I am interested in planting Zoysia grass in my lawn. I know I can buy plugs, but can a homeowner buy Zoysia grass seed for sowing, instead of using the plugging method?

0

Yes, there is an improved variety of zoysia grass, 'Zenith', that you can grow from seed. It still takes quite a while to germinate, but less time than other varieties. Slow germination is one of the main reasons why you see zoysia sold as plugs -- the plugs spread quickly, but historically, seed germination rates have been slow and spotty. 'Zenith' costs about $25 per pound (covers 250 - 1000 square feet), so you'll want to weigh the pros and cons of plugs vs. sowing seed...plugs may win out in the long run. For more information about 'Zenith', visit http://www.zoysias.com/info/ze....