Indoor Herb/vegetable Gardening - Knowledgebase Question

Nyack, NY
Question by smarencik
November 8, 2000
I would like to grow some herbs (Basil, Dill, Oregano, Thyme) indoors. Are there any particular varieties that are recommended?

November 8, 2000

0

Basil tends to do fairly well as a container plant, but you might try one of the smaller varieties if you are using a window sill. Dill may be difficult to grow to perfection indoors and probably will not bloom for you even though it is an annual, but if you enjoy snipping the foliage for cooking use you might try one of the shorter types. Thyme is often suggested as a window sill herb and a shrubby form may be easier to keep compact. Oregano, in my experience, does not do all that well indoors because it is such a sun lover. Most often the selection is made based on both what is available and on personal preference for taste. Enjoy your herbs!