Bugs In Spathiphyllum Soil - Knowledgebase Question

Marlton, NJ
Question by dogboy3
November 26, 2000
I recently had a problem with leaf tip burn on my spathiphyllum and corn plant. I began to flush out the soil of the spath in my kitchen sink and I noticed that there were a whole bunch of little white (dried up and dead) worms with legs, much like inchworms, in the dish that the pot goes in. I assume this is bad, but I'm not sure. The spath, despite the problem with tip burn, is beginning to flower again so it must not be *real* bad. If this is a problem, what can I do about it. Thanks.

November 26, 2000

0

As long as they were already dead, I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as the plant seems to be relatively healthy. However, there is a possibility that there is some sort of infestation within the soil, feeding on either decaying organic matter in the soil or possibly feeding on the plant roots. When it comes time to repot, examine the roots and soil carefully for any signs of ongoing infestation. If you find anything, you might want to check with your county extension for a more precise identification of the pest and susggested controls, or ask again at the Q&A with a more detailed description of the pest.