|I have grey mold growing on the top of the soil that my abutilon plant is in. There is none visible on the leaves or plant. It is in a western window,gets plenty of light, and is in a room that is btw 60-62 degrees. What is the cause of this mold,will it damage the plant, and how can I get rid of it safely? Thank you.|
|Based on your description, it could be a fungal problem (soft) or it might be mineral deposits (crusty). In either case, gently scrape away the top layer of soil. Take care not to overwater the plant, especially since it is growing at a relatively cool temperature. Increasing air circulation could also help. |
If it is crusty, periodically water the plant very thoroughly to the point of running through the drain hole, several times in succession, to flush out any mineral or salt buildup in the soil due to fertilizers. This would be done during the growing season when you are fertilizing and the plant is in active growth.