Campanula With No Flowers - Knowledgebase Question

Peshtigo, WI
Question by lmaa
I had alot of green leaves on my campanula last year but they did not flower. Why is that?

0

Lots of foliage at the expense of flowers is usually due to an abundance of nitrogen. Did you fertilize with a nitrogen product? This year, scratch a phosphorous source into the soil to see if that helps.

Here?s some basic info on fertilizer and nutrients that plants require. The 3 numbers on a fertilizer bag refer to the percentage of N (nitrogen), P (phosphorous), and K (potassium) in the bag. There are different formulations for different purposes. In general terms, nitrogen produces lush green growth, phosphorous helps strengthen stems and produce flowers, and potassium keeps the root system healthy. If you're applying fertilizer to fruiting (e.g., tomatoes) or flowering plants, you're not as interested in the plant developing leaves as you are in it flowers and fruit, so you'd use a formulation lower in nitrogen and higher in phosphorous, such as Miracle-Gro's Plant Food at 15-30-15. Bone meal is an organic source of phosphorous.