Problems Growing Onions - Knowledgebase Question

Dallas, OR
Question by jarviper
I'm an experienced gardener but I always have trouble with onions. I start mine from sets. The greens grow really well above the soil but I just can't get the bulbs to grow. What can I do?

0

Onions can sometimes be tricky to grow because they are photoperiodic plants, meaning they regulate their stages of growth by the duration of the light/dark cycle. An onion plant will make top growth until the critical light duration is reached; then it begins to form bulbs. The amount of growth and development prior to bulbing will determine the bulb size. You need to match the onion variety with your locale -- there are "short-day" onions for southern areas, and "long-day" onions for northern regions.