Wilting (and Eventually Dead) Vining Crops - Knowledgebase Question

Ankeny, IA
Question by AVEYDP
I plant zucchini, various melons, and cucumbers in our garden. In most years, we will get some harvest, but will eventually lose out to insects and diseases. We do have borers some years. Typically we notice them on the zucchini first (which seems the least tolerant), but eventually they get everything.

Some years, we have the triangular whitish insects. I have heard they vector a virus... don't know.

Bottom line, how can I control the insects and the diseases they bring on the vining crops. Love the resulting products, but getting tired of working for limited returns.

Thanks.

0

beetle (1/4 inch long, yellow w/black stripes or spots) is a common and voracious pest of the squash, melon and cuke family of crops. They not only eat plants, they can transmit diseases among them. Your first line of defense is to cover the seedlings with floating row cover while they're small and young - when they're most succeptible to damage and disease. When the plants outgrow the cover, if the adults beetles are a problem, you can use a botanical spray such as pyrethrin. I've also heard of organic gardeners who had luck using oil of clove as a repellent. Dab a couple drops on cotton balls and place them throughout the plot, and the beetles stay away. I hope this info helps! beetle (1/4 inch long, yellow w/black stripes or spots) is a common and voracious pest of the squash, melon and cuke family of crops. They not only eat plants, they can transmit diseases among them. Your first line of defense is to cover the seedlings with floating row cover while they're small and young - when they're most succeptible to damage and disease. When the plants outgrow the cover, if the adults beetles are a problem, you can use a botanical spray such as pyrethrin. I've also heard of organic gardeners who had luck using oil of clove as a repellent. Dab a couple drops on cotton balls and place them throughout the plot, and the beetles stay away. I hope this info helps!