Dying Orchid - Knowledgebase Question

New York, NY
Question by loan777
I bought a 2 stem orchid plant last year and it had beautiful blooms for months. The flowers then slowly died away. The old leaves died, replaced by new leaves. It's been almost a year now and only one stem is surviving, no more blooms, now new leaves. How can I save this plant?
Would appreciate any suggestion. LL

0

I'd say your orchid is struggling to survive! Orchids are some of the most popular, and rewarding houseplants, but they have specific requirements. Here are some general care tips for orchids: They like daytime temperatures of about 70F degrees in the summer, 60F in the winter, and a drop of ten degrees at night. Cool nights are important. Give them bright light, 10-15 hours each day. Supplement with artificial light in the winter time. Keep the compost moist, but reduce the frequency of watering during the winter months. Mist the leaves occasionally. Keep them out of drafts and shade them from direct sunshine. Once your orchid begins to experience the correct light, temperature, moisture and food, it should perk up and perform well for you. I hope so!