What Is Planting Formula? - Knowledgebase Question

Aptos, CA
Question by juneoneill
I picked up a seed pack for Coleus and it says to "sow seeds shallowly in planting formula..."...what is planting formula? I went to my local garden shop and they didn't have anything there. Help...<grin>

Thanks...

0

Sounds a bit cryptic, doesn't it? Maybe a better choice of words would be "growing media"? Or perhaps that would be confusing, as well. In any event, there are two generally used mediums for seed starting. One is an especially prepared "seed starting mix". It's made of very finely milled sphagnum moss. It's light weight, moisture retentive, and easy for roots to penetrate. The other medium is soilless potting mix. It's a mixture of peat moss, sand, and vermiculite or perlite. Seeds require moisture and oxygen in order to germinate. Either the potting soil or the seed starting mix will provide what your seeds need to get off to a healthy start. And, both can be referred to as a planting formula or growing media. Hope this clarifies things for you!