What Are The Best Perennials For My Area? - Knowledgebase Question

Truckee, CA
Question by laura620
I would like to know what perennials grow the best in my area. Truckee is very cold in the winter and can be quite hot in the summer. I'm burnt out on planting annuals every season for flowers. Any suggestions?

0

Sunset Western Garden Book places you in their zone 1 growing region, with the coldest winters in the west, and a short summer season. In this part of the country, try growing Asters, Japanese Anemone, Campanula (bellflower), Chrysanthemum, Coreopsis, Dianthus, Echinacea (purple coneflower), Gladiolus, Iris, Lavender, Liatris (gayfeather), Rudbeckia (gloriosa daisy), and Veronica spicata (speedwell) for summer color. Don't completely discount annuals, though. They are reliable performers and can fill bare spots with their cheerful blooms early in the season while the perennials are just beginning to wake up.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"