Cornus Florida Variety Preference - Knowledgebase Question

Reston, VA
Question by cathyberdahl
I live in the upper south. I have an area on the NW of my house (morning shade, midday sun, late afternoon shade) that I want to plant a cornus florida dogwood. I have heard various reasons to choose either a Cloud 9 or a Cherokee Princess for a white dogwood. What are the pros and cons of these two varietis and which should I choose?

0

The native dogwood is an understory tree in the woods and as a result does not usually do well in a hot sun location such as the one you are describing. It needs an evenly moist, organic, acid soil and prefers morning light or dappled light all day. It is also now subject to some serious disease problems. Instead, you might look into a Cornus kousa, an oriental dogwood; this plant tolerates sun better and is less prone to disease.