Planting Where Walnuts Grew - Knowledgebase Question

Berkeley, CA
Question by teamcheap
I recently removed two 30 - 40' black walnut trees (trunk and roots remains in
ground) and I want to plant a row of trees that will mature at no more than 30' or a
shrub or hedge that reaches 20 - 30.' What trees and/or hedges have these
characterstics in addition to the following:

* Grow (or might grow) in soil that is aleopathic from black walnut trees
* Evergreen
* Grow in part shade (am sun)
* Grow in fertile, but clay-like soil
* Possible to espaliate

I plan to plant alongside a fence so to add some privacy from our two-story
neighbors, which is which is why the plant must reach the desired heigth, but not
more than that height.

Thank You!

0

Some plants that are tolerant to juglone include: arborvitae, cedar, catalpa, clematis, daphne, elm, euonymous, forsythia, hawthorn, hemlock, sycamore, astilbe, begonia, bellflower, orange hawkweed, hosta, pansy, phlox, marigold, primrose, snowdrop, sweet woodruff, trillium and zinnia. Landscape plants sensitive to juglone include azalea, birch, honeysuckle, hydrangea, larch, lilac, magnolia, maple, pine, potentilla, rhododendron, spruce and viburnums.

In the site you describe, I'd recommend thuja (arborvitae). These plants can be trained and pruned to all fit all sorts of spaces.