Are 'Million Bells' Petunias? - Knowledgebase Question

Plymouth, IN
Question by redbarn7
I would likd some cultural information on 'Million Bells' (Calibrachoa). I have been finding conflicting information and would like to clear up the confusion. Are they petunias or not?

0

Following is information from the Proven Winners web site (www.provenwinners.com )about 'Million Bells', a Calibrachoa hybrid:

Calibrachoa, an entirely new commercial species developed by Suntory and available to Proven Winners through license from Bear Creek Gardens, Inc., looks very much like a miniature petunia, but it is not. Featuring hundreds of small, petunia-like flowers, Million Bells is a fast-growing, heavy blooming, self-cleaning variety that blooms from
spring through late fall. Million Bells has a low-growing, compact growth habit, and thrives in full sun.

Placement: Bright sunlight
Planting: Use in baskets and window boxes with other cascading Proven Winners or in the landscape. In the landscape plant place as a second tier planting allowing taller plants to accent the Million Bells.
Temperature: Thrives in moderate temperatures. Cold-tolerant to flash freezes of 28 degrees.
Watering: Moist soil. During summer's heat, daily irrigations may be necessary.
Feeding: In the landscape fertilize monthly; in containers every two weeks.
Pruning: None needed however plant may be pruned to shape
Spacing: 8 - 12 inches