Uses Vermiculite For Flowers And Vegetables - Knowledgebase Question

New Haven, CT
Question by gmoges
I have a large amount of vermiculite packing material. I would like to know if it can be used for my house plants, flowers and garden?

0

Horticultural grade vermiculite is usually in what could be described as a flaked, nearly granular form. It is often added to or used as a portion of potting mix to help the mixture hold air and moisture. In general it is not used as an amendment in the garden due to its expense. Unfortunately I am not familar with the vermiculite packing material so I can't really comment on whether or not it would be suitable. If it sounds similar to the horticultural material then you might experiment with it and see how it works for you.