Lipstick Plants - Aeschynanthus - Knowledgebase Question

Jamison, AL
Question by Toddlermom
I thought a Lipstick plant was either in the tulip or strawberry family. After searching your library I now understand there is also a Lipstick houseplant. Can you explain what is the real Lipstick plant and, does Burpee offer it?

0

Ah, the confusion of common names--fortunately, we can always turn to the botanical name; that usually clears things up.

Lipstick plant is Aeschynanthus radicans--this is the indoor houseplant with bright red flowers, often used in hanging baskets.

Lipstick tree is Bixa orellana--this large, tropical shrub is the source of annatto, the orange dye used to color cheese, margarine, candy, and, yes, lipstick.

I couldn't find any reference to a lipstick plant in the strawberry or tulip family. Could this by any chance be a part of a cultivar name? (I did find a lily cultivar named 'Hot Lips'!)