Dead Areas In Lawn Killed By Weed Killer - Knowledgebase Question

Baltimore, MD
Question by RuthSpencer
Last summer I made the mistake of putting weed killer on the lawn to kill (only) the dandilions/weeds, (I thought), but it killed the grass. Now I have large and small areas throughout the entire lawn that are dead, not even the color of the other "dormant" grass.(.24 acre) Is there anything that I can sprinkle or pour, put onto these areas to promote new growth of grass? Please advise my spouse is upset for I've ruined our lawn!

0

I'm guessing you used a non-selective vegetation killer rather than a selective herbicide on your lawn. (There are broadleaf herbicides that target only broadleaf weeds such as dandelions and leave grasses unharmed.) I'm afraid the grasses in the treated areas are dead and no amount of coaxing will make them come back to life. Dig or rake out the dead grass and reseed the bare areas. If you do it now in early spring, your lawn should look terrific by this summer.