Water Softener - Knowledgebase Question

Reno, NV
Question by kristiloose
March 11, 2001
I do alot of indoor gardening and I've noticed some of my plants are suffering from a buildup. I've read that there are some products out there that you can add to your water to soften it. Any ideas where I can find such a product? Or do you have any suggestions for me?

Answer from NGA
March 11, 2001


If you are referring to white, chalky deposits on top of the soil, that is salt build-up from either salts in water (water in the West usually contains alot of salts naturally) or in fertilizer (synthetic fertilizers are made from mineral salts). The best way to deal with that problem is once a month leach the salts away, by putting plants under the faucet or hose and let water slowly and deeply run out the bottom of the pot. Water softeners that I am aware of are actually made from salts as well, so that doesn't help the situation. Some people don't water their plants with softened water because of it. If you have alot of salt build up, scrape it off the top. You might want to repot also, and then be sure to water deeply each time.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by greenappleagnes and is called "Carpenter Bees and Ginger"