Japanese Silver Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Portland, OR
Question by zerofi
I just bought a Japanese Silver Tree. I was trying to find the family of this tree in a gardening book, but could not find anything related to "Neolitsea sericia." What group of plants does this tree belong to?

Also, how little sun does this tree tolerate? I had in mind an area that gets sun for only a few hours a day. Would this work?

0

Sorry I made you wait so long for an answer!

Neolitsea sericea is one of about 80 known species in the genus, which belongs in the Laurel family (Lauraceae).

If the few hours of sun it would receive are in the middle of the day, it may do fine in the shady area, but in your generally cloudy region, I would feel more comfortable by erring on the side of more sun than less. If you have an alternate spot that gets more sun, it will do better there.

I hope this helps!