Day Lillies - Knowledgebase Question

Cranford, NJ
Question by vollenbroek
How do I dig up numerous day lillies and move them to another spot sucessfully without killing them or leaving any behind in the area in which I want them removed?
Thank you Lisa Vollenbroek

0

Most daylilies are not to hard to transplant. Dig up the clump as best you can and replant in the new location at the same depth as it grew before. You can divide the clump at the same time if desired, using at least several crowns per new plant for faster recovery and rebloom. Once replanted, water them well and mulch around them, water as needed to keep the soil evenly moist until they become reestablished. Early spring or late summer are good times to do this.

There are some types of "wild" or naturalized orange daylily that runner, or grow by underground spreading. These can be difficult to remove from a location because any little bit of root will regrow. Dig these carefully and be prepared to redig them several times to achieve control. They may also be treated with an herbicide containing glyphosate according to the label instructions.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"