Fall/Winter Flowering Perennials - Knowledgebase Question

Pittsburg, CA
Question by LikeDeer
November 1, 1997
Can you list some perennials that will do well in partial shade and bloom in the winter. I live in California, near the San Francisco delta.

November 1, 1997

0

There are a few perennials that will bloom in late fall/winter/early spring in your area:

Gladiolus, planted in January, should bloom in March; freesias, planted in fall, should bloom in spring; Marguerites(Chrysanthemum frutescens), planted in spring, will bloom in fall and sometimes in winter; Ranunculus asiaticus, planted September-November, will bloom February-April.

You can fill in the blanks with annuals such as calendulas, cornflowers (Centaurea cyanis), Forget-me-nots (Myosotis sylvatica), nasturtiums, pansies, and sweet alyssum, all planted in late summer or fall, may make a winter appearance.