What Will I Do The Second Year Of Harvest For My Purple Asparagus??? - Knowledgebase Question

Name: M Matchett
Forked River, NJ
Question by teva1008
What will I need to do to prepare for my asparagus to be harvested it is the beginning of the second year purchased them last year.may 22,2000.Please send instructions and other information.

0

Asparagus may be harvested as long as it is at least as thick as a pencil. Take only a small percentage of the larger shoots this year, more the next year. This will allow the plants to continue to put energy into becoming established. In early spring you can apply a complete fertilizer such as 10-10-10 according to the label instructions and/or a good rich compost. Keep the plants well mulched all summer to keep down weeds. In the late fall, after frost has killed back the tops, remove the dead tops to help reduce the chance of overwintering pests or diseases. In late fall, cover the asparagus bed with a generous layer of compost and organic mulch. This will rot down and help feed the soil on a regular basis over time.