Where To Plant Wisteria - Knowledgebase Question

Cockeysville, MD
Question by patina824
i recently purchased one of your chinese wistria plants through a local nursery. i had a great place to plant it but just before i planted it i read that they grow like wild and the root systems are relentless. i am considering planting it right on top of a evergreen tree so that as it grows it has support. ( i have read that in japan it is popular.) do you know anything about this? also, i might run it up along a dogwood tree. any suggestions ?

0

Of the two, the evergreen tree as it will provide a sturdier support than a dogwood could. The vine would overwhelm a dogwood in short order. It would most likely also outlive the dogwood by decades. However, there is a good possibility that the wisteria will strangle the evergreen tree and add to the wind catching "sail" effect during a wind storm, so I would not recommend growing it on that tree, either. In my experience, the best places to grow a wisteria vine are on a purpose-built arbor that is very strong, on a large granite boulder, or in the center of a lawn area trained as a standard. In time a wisteria vine can be as thick as a man's leg, it is a very strong and heavy plant and also long lived.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"