Climbing Roses - Knowledgebase Question

Mill Valley, CA
Question by Dibill1
I am looking to pot two climbing roses beside posts going from low light into sun - after a few feet up. I would like to know a kind to buy, preferably yellow, pink or apricot.
Also, what size pots.

Thank you.

0

Roses perform best in full sunshine. As long as the tops of the plants are in sunshine, it shouldn't matter that the lower stem and roots are shaded. Yellow blooms abound on 'Gold Rush', Golden Showers' and 'High Noon'. Pink climbers include 'America', 'Dorothy Perkins', 'Dream Weaver' and 'New Dawn'. While there is not a true apricot colored climber, 'Joseph's Coat' produces blossom clusters in shades of red, pink, orange and yellow - sometimes all of the colors appear in a single cluster of blooms.

When chosing containers, bigger is usually better in terms of providing enough room for the roots. Make sure the pots have adequate drainage holes and fill with a good potting soil mixture. I'd use a 10 or 15-gallon container, or even a half whiskey barrel for each plant.