Pruning and Training Pyracantha - Knowledgebase Question

Vernon, BC
Question by tlevasseur
Since my 'Yukon Belle' pyracantha shrub is a spring bloomer, should I prune it in the summer? And how do I go about training it into a topiary on a trellis?

0

Pyracantha can be pruned most anytime during the spring, summer or winter months. If bloom is important to you, wait until after blooming is finished, then prune your plant back. Training into a specific shape is an ongoing process during the growing season. Simply pinch or rub out buds and stems that are misplaced, and direct growth toward the support by prodding and tying branches to the trellis while the stems are still pliable. Once you have the basic shape desired you can maintain the shape and size with frequent pinching or snipping of misplaced stems. Pyracantha can be pruned back hard with no ill effects so don't be afraid to take control of your plant. Flowers and berries are produced on new growth so the more you pinch and prune, the more productive your pyracantha will be.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"