Saving Large Cactus Pups - Knowledgebase Question

El Cerrito, CA
Question by crw59
2 18" 4" diameter pups broke off my cactus while I was moving it. Can the pups be saved/replanted?

Not sure what kind of cactus it is. It has 6 or so well defined ridges and is around 7' in height.

Thx - Craig

0

Most cactus will root readily from pads. Bury the pad halfway deep in soil and water well. Pups are usually propagated by removing them from the base of the mother plant with a sharp knife, getting as much of the stem on the pup as possible. Remove a few of the bottom leaves on the pup and set it in a spot out of direct sun for a few days to allow the wounded spots to dry. Then stick the basal stem of the pups in the soil and water well. Hope this information helps!