Wintercreeper That Won't Grow - Knowledgebase Question

Kansas City, MO
Question by boomer8888
I planted wintercreeper last spring in an area that I cleared. It originally had lava rock in it. It grew hardly at all last year and I was hoping that it would maybe take off this year. I have seen some new leaves, so it is still alive after the winter. Is there anything that I can do to help it along?

0

In general terms Witnercreeper euonymous is not an overly demanding plant (it can become invasive in some circumstances) so it should grow quickly once it becomes established, a process which takes a season or two. So I would expect more growth this year. Since there was lava rock in that location, one might also wonder if a long term weed preventive had been used there, or if the soil had become severely compacted. Either of these could possibly limit subsequent growth in that location. To help it along (short of replanting it) you might run some basic soil tests and see if any additional soil amendments might be useful and in what amounts.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"