When To Plant Seedlings?? - Knowledgebase Question

Lake Peekskill, NY
Question by marieef
I live in zone 5. I would like to start my seedlings indoors for transplant approx. the first week of May. When is the best time to start them; we are considering flowering perenials and annuals.

0

Many annuals require about six weeks (or more) to reach typical transplant size from seed. Most perennials are started at any time during the spring and then transplanted to a nursery bed outside for the first season since they are usually rather small and will not bloom until the next year anyway. Remember to allow for some time to harden off the plants, gradually acclimating them to the sun and wind and weather over about a week, prior to setting them in the garden.