Overwintering Japanese Maple - Knowledgebase Question

Bedford, MA
Question by thouck
November 6, 1997
I have a one year old Japanese maple tree with four leaves which now stands 5 inches tall in my garden in Boston. How should I prepare it to withstand the NE winter, or should I bring it inside?

November 6, 1997

0

Bring it inside? Is it in a pot? I will answer assuming it is in the ground! I would not dig it up and bring it inside, nature intended it to be an outdoor plant. I would get a protection sleeve at your garden center to put around the trunk(stem?) so little critters don't chew the bark. Then I would set some stakes in the ground around it and wrap around them with burlap. The burlap will protect your little tree from wind, sun and snow. After the ground has frozen hard, I would mulch it as well.