Vine crops - Knowledgebase Question

Stevensville, SC
Question by javis
November 7, 1997
I have had outstanding success with pole beans and limas and would like to plant some additional vegetables which grow on vines--picking from low plants is difficult for me. Any suggestions?

November 7, 1997

0

You can grow many members of the squash family on trellises--cucumbers, melons, various squash, and gourds, for example. They are natural climbers and you can easily train them up on a sturdy trellis. For large-fruited plants like melons and large squash, you will need to support developing fruit to keep it from pulling the vines down. One way to do this is to create a fabric sling, cradle the fruit in it, and secure it directly to the trellis.

You can also grow tomatoes (indeterminate types) and climbing peas on a trellis.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"