Mushrooms - Knowledgebase Question

Lake Ronkonkoma, NY
Avatar for wiegfive
Question by wiegfive
April 12, 2001
I have a problem with mushroom growing in the red mulch in the flower beds. last year I was told to use lime. this dose not work. I have three dogs and I worry they will eat them and get sick. I simply Can't keep up with the mushroom to take them out every day. Please help!

Answer from NGA
April 12, 2001
The mushrooms are a natural part of the decay process and will continue to grow until conditions become unfavorable for them. Eventually they should exhaust themselves, or may disappear when the weather turns drier and warmer.

You might try (experiment on a test area first) topping off the mulch with another type of material (other than wood based) such as shredded hardwood bark or cocoa shells or even straw and see if that is enough of a change to stop them. Alternatively, you could remove and replace the mulch with a different kind, but again, experiment on a test area first. You might also consider a fence to keep the dogs away from the mulch. Last but not least, you might find an expert who could identify the mushrooms and tell you if they would be poisonous, or not. In the case of mushrooms, there is always a possibility that a small child might eat them, too.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Dutchlady1 and is called "Plumeria"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.