Deer In The Vegetable Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Montross, VA
Question by libertygdn
I am a new gardener and my area has a huge deer population.
I am especially worried about my salad greens.I am willing to put up a fence, but I was wondering if there are any inexpensive alternatives?
Worried

0

There are repellents you can spray, or you can make your own based on garlic and/or red pepper. These need to be applied and reapplied and may not be listed for the vegetables you want to grow. There are many home remedies such as using blood meal or human hair or hanging bars of soap, but, under severe browse conditions, these are not always as effective as one might hope. In my own sad experience, the only long term solution is a fence. In the meantime, perhaps you can make a cage of wire mesh to protect the salad greens.