Transplanting Leggy Vinca Seedlings - Knowledgebase Question

Ellicott City, MD
Question by lgregg6137
I have started Vinca seeds in the flats. Apparently I did not give them enough light and the seedlings are rather leggy. When I plant the peat plugs into the peat pots what do I do about the long, thin stems?

0

When your vinca transplants get the correct amount of light they'll respond by getting more stout. Carefully transplant them, provide 12-16 hours of light daily, and keep daytime temperatures at about 65F (nighttime about 10 degrees cooler). By manipulating both light and temperature your vinca should stop growing so long and wispy. You can pinch your plants back to encourage bushiness after they've developed four sets of true leaves. Good luck with your vinca!