After Worm Composting - Knowledgebase Question

Name: sally mccullum
Elizabethtown, KY
Question by momsally1
I have had red wiggler worms for 6 weeks now. What is the best and easiest way to seperate the worms from the compost? Do I use the paper in the garden as well as the compost. I know paper will decompose but I am not sure how to seperate the worms from the paper and compost.

0

There are two ways to do this. One is to start adding all fresh material to just one end of the bin, wait several weeks, and by then the worms should have migrated to the "fresh" end. The other is to use a light source (such as a light bulb held over a pile of the material spread out on a tray) to chase them deeper into the compost.(Worms flee the light.) Then you can remove the top layer of material and use that.

The paper and castings and compost can be used in the garden, the paper will rot down eventually.