Clematis Overload! - Knowledgebase Question

St. Louis, MO
Question by davidghulb
We have a large Sweet Autumn clematis growing over our front porch. It's a beautiful bloomer but the seeds blew all over our front yard and now we are digging up hundreds of seedlings. Is there any way to control the seeds? (My husband even tried to vacuum them off the vine last year.) If they can't be controlled, do you recommend another flowering vine that won't be so aggressive?

0

You could possibly prune the vine back immediately after it blooms and remove the spent flowers before the seeds mature. Another method would be to rake and fluff mulched areas and top them off with a small amount of fresh mulch in early spring in order to stop the seeds from germinating. This is the only vine I know of that gives such a lovely display in the fall and most flowering vines (wisteria, trumpet vine) have their own liabilities. Alternatives would possibly be other varieties of clematis or a rose.