Where Would I Find It? - Knowledgebase Question

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
Question by Coralplume
I am curious to know if anyone could direct me as where to go to find ladys slipper. I have a very large rock garden and half is shaded , I have tried all the garden centers in my area and on-line as well with no luck. If in addition you can suggest some other flowering perennnials that due well in the shade, I would be most grateful.

0

The lady's slippers are somewhat unusual in commerce, however the following Slipper Orchid Alliance web site includes a list of orchid dealers who may handle them. Please make sure any plants you buy are nursery propagated and not collected from the wild.

http://www.slipperorchid.org/m...

Some other, easier perennial plants to grow in shade would include the following: polemonium, pulmonaria, hosta of all kinds, ferns, astilbe, sweet woodruff, Solomon's seal, tricyrtis, lily of the valley, Virginia bluebells, goatsbeard, and ajuga; and in partial shade, dicentra, heuchera, tradescantia, and perennial geraniums would be worth a try.