Shade Or Sun Loving Shrub? - Knowledgebase Question

Benson, NC
Question by Jannlangdon
Does the mock orange shrub require shade or sun? What else does it need to grow well?
I have one in the sun that just sets there and has some browned tips. I put it in last spring.
Thanks so any help.

0

Mockorange does best in full sun and, although it is fairly tolerant of a range of conditions, will do best in rich soil that is moist yet well drained meaning not soggy. This shrub may wait for several years before it flowers heavily. It will also take a year or two to become established, just as any new shrub would do. Trim off any dead tips, in spring apply compost and/or a complete general purpose granular fertilizer (eg 10-10-10) according to the label instructions. Maintain several inches of organic mulch over the root zone year round to keep down weeds and help maintain the soil moisture. Water as needed to keep the soil slightly moist until the plant is well established and during periods of drought the first few years. Good luck with your mockorange!