Pruning Climbing Roses - Knowledgebase Question

Chatsworth, CA
Question by Brudonjo
I live in southern California. Should I prune a very large climbing rose plant (yellow flower). I read that it should be done in northern California. It doesn't produce many flowers but the stems are ten to twelve feet high. What should I do? Thank you

0

Climbing roses should be pruned, no matter where you live! They produce flowers on new shoots that grow on old wood. Pruning back the long canes will encourage new flowering shoots. Remove any twiggy growth and dead canes first, then cut back shoots that grow from the remaining canes, leaving 2-3 buds on each shoot. This should provide plenty of new flowering growth for you this season.