club root - Knowledgebase Question

Hot Springs Village, AR
Question by lespark
November 9, 1997
I believe my cucumbers suffered from club root this year. What causes it and how can I eliminate it?

November 9, 1997

0

Club root is a disease that affects plants in the cabbage family. I wonder if your cucumbers were affected instead by root-knot nematodes. Symptoms include stunted or slow-growing plants, wilting in mid-day, and knobby galls on roots. These galls may be up to 1/2 inch across, but most are smaller and look like small beads attached to the roots.

Gardening in soil affected by nematodes requires a comprehensive management plan, since they can devastate many crops. Management strategies include crop rotation, adding compost (to increase beneficial microorganisms), timing plantings, solarizing soil, and choosing resistant varieties.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"