Getting Started - Knowledgebase Question

Chester, CA
Question by italin2134

Hello My name is Tyson Yates. I just moved into my first new rental. My question is I want to plants a different varitey of flowers around my house. On one side of my house it gets sun light from sunrise to around 1:00 p.m., but for the rest of the house, nothing but a little sun here and there. I would like to know the basic sunlight-needed plants are and the different types of shade plants.? And also whats the best type of flower food or fertilizer for flowers only?

0

Based upon your description, I'd suggest concentration on shade-loving plants, even where there's morning sunshine. Plants growing best under shady conditions include Acanthus, Alchemilla (Lady's Mantle), Columbine, Asarum (wild ginger), Astilbe, Bergenia, Caladium, Campanula, Convallaria majalis (Lily-of-the-Valley), Dicentra (Bleeding Heart), Ferns of all kinds, Gentiana, Hellebore, Heuchera (coral bells), Hosta, Lamium, Lilium, Lobelia, Primrose, Saxifrage, Trollius (Globe Flower), Vinca and Viola (pansies). As with all new garden beds, amend with plenty of organic matter to help soil drain well yet still retain just the right moisture. Feeding and deadheading (removing spent blooms) will keep your plants looking their best. Feed every 4 weeks during the growing season with a diluted liquid fertilizer (10-20-20 is a good N-P-K ratio). Good luck with your new flower beds!