Ant Hills All Over My Yard - Knowledgebase Question

Huntsville, AL
Question by jeannern
What is an inexpensive way to get rid of all those ant hills in my yard? Thank you

0

You can try diatomaceous earth, I have heard success stories in treating ants with it. Diatomaceous earth is available from Gardener's Supply Co. (www.gardeners.com or ph# 800-863-1700). Or, pour boiling water down the hole of their hills. Folks have also had success with boric acid bait. A good "home remedy" is to make a paste out of sweetened condensed milk and boric acid powder. Roll into little balls (shoot for consistency of fudge). Place these about the garden and ants will eat them, share with their pals, and die. Be careful with this remedy if you have pets or children, they could eat the "fudge" as well. There's also an Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) for ants that breaks the reproductive cycle of certain species of ants. Check with manufacturers to see if there is one for the pest species in your yard (Zoecon Corp., 12200 Denton Dr., Dallas TX 75234; ph# 800/527-0512).