Mixing Flowers In A Pot - Knowledgebase Question

Seattle, WA
Question by lpsabacan
I have a corner apartment with a balcony that faces south and west. I have already purchased an assortment of pansies to grow in flower boxes, but would like to add another plant that would cascade over the flower boxes to hide the pots and continue to flower or remain green past summer. What do you suggest?

0

Here are some choices: Portulaca (excellent for drought tolerance), Alyssum, Ageratum, Convolvulus, Dusty Miller, Geranium, Heliotrope (smells heavenly), Lobelia, Verbena, Nasturtium, Pentas, Petunia, Phlox, Scaevola, and Helichrysum (looks spectacular with Verbena and/or Heliotrope). Remember, the most important factor in having beautiful cascading plants in planter boxes or hanging baskets is staying on top of watering. During the hottest days of summer you may need to water more than once a day. Containers dry out very quickly.