Weeping Willow Or Weeping Birch - Knowledgebase Question

Marble Rock, IA
Question by debnixt
I am hoping to plant a weeping willow tree or a weeping birch? Do they both require the same growing conditions? Which would be better for an area that is near a ditch that does not like to drain? It would be located about 6 feet from the ditch and would have lots of eastern light and some southern and northern. The place near the ditch is elevated about 8-10 ft. above the water in the ditch.

0

Willows do like water, and weeping birch likes moist soil but NOT standing water. Your description of the site leads me to believe either would thrive in this situation. Weeping birch is very susceptible to leaf miner and bronze birch borer, both of which are difficult to control. Check with a local landscaper, nursery, or aborist to find out if these pests are prevalent in your are. Weeping willows have few pest problems, but drop a lot of branches that need frequent raking. I hope this information helps you make a decision. Best of luck!